View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 03:21 PM  
Otaku
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Customised adaptions to cage

alpacassei, it's reassuring to know that cork is pretty easy to cut through, my dad will make short work of it. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacassei View Post
I’ve never seen the cancer warning on the UK stuff and in the US its the generic “found to cause cancer in the state of California” warning that is on almost anything.
I read up on it last night and learned that basically anything that can be dusty carries the same risks, so really all bedding carries the risk, just some to higher degrees. Given C&C reputation for being relatively dust free it is probably one of the safer options.

Thank you for your suggestions about the platforms. I had one blueprint, then I considered a bigger burrow box last night so need to draw up another blueprint (, the original plan was for a Samla 11l box, 39 x 28 x 14, on its side to make it 39cm deep, now I'm thinking a 38 x 28 x 28 will be more interesting).

No matter the size of the box, the plan is for levels every 10cm so tunnels/ramps are not steep, more levels means more surface area, and to ensure the overlaps mean no potential to drop further than 20cm... then I measured my old rat wheel and realised that there will be one area with an uninterrupted 40cm drop. As I read others have had issues with bedding getting caught in the wheels I'm thinking of putting a couple of hemp mats or something there for cushioning, just in case. (That is depending on how soft they are.)

sushi_78, yes! I forgot Aspen, thank you! I have to consider storage space so I'll have a look at smaller bags, but I would like to try different substrates as I have seen people say that offering different textures is another form of enrichment.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote