View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 11:36 AM  
karlh
Hamster Pup

Default Prevent mum pregnancy from son

My ast male Campbell passed away two weeks ago,
As I could not find "boys to go", I opted to go for 2 FEMALES. That was, I think a mistake...

On 4th Nov I brought home 2 eight-weeks old Campbell sisters. They settled in very well, as they have been handed a lot by their breeder.
On saturday 16th at 6 p, just before we had out evening meal, I discovered that One of then, Gigi, has given birth to 7 babies in the past hour. What a surprise!!
As new mum shooed away her sister,Gabby, I promptly arranged the cages in a new configuration, giving both a self-contained cage. They well settled in.

As I do not want to get involved in sale/rehousing, I have agreed with their breeder to take them to the breeder, to do with them as the breeder feels fit.

I have not seen the babies yet.
I wonder when would it be safe to remove the babies, to ensure that the mum does NOT get made pregnant by one of her sons, should she have any. I could not possibly manage yet another unwelcome litter.

I see that I could attempt to sex them at three weeks old and separate them into a separate, divided area of s new cage.
any help/reference would be appreciated

thanks, dear friends
karlh is offline   Reply With Quote