Thread: Meet Bailey
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 09:56 AM  
Dessi
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Meet Bailey

I have had my dwarf for about 6 weeks now and I have switched from a bigger cage with deep burrows to smaller cage with less, to see which would be best for taming.

I have found that being in a big cage with deep burrow seems to bring wild instincts back and my hamster does not come out, or very little. He stays underneath his bedding and will only come out late at night. If he sees me coming near the cage, he flees. I see him maybe every three days, and cannot handle him except when I clean the bin and remove bedding.

Since he is still a baby, he needs work to be tamed so I put him back temporarily in his smaller cage, so he learns to be handled and that humans are his friend. He behaves very differently in a smaller cage with less bedding. He comes out during the day, bathes in the sand, sits in his wheel and snacks in open areas. And strangely, he doesn’t run away at all and lets me handle him. I handle him every day once or twice for a few minutes, and so does my family when they visit. Very good for taming.

So I have decided to have him in his smaller bin for a while, then when he’s a little older, he’ll go back to his bigger bin with lots of bedding, and if then he decides he’d rather not have interactions with me, then I will provide the best habitat I can and let him be.
Dessi is offline   Reply With Quote