View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 AM  
AprilPearl
Hamster Hugger

Default Re: Older hamster not eating his food

Thank you for the info Luna. It’s good to know that they do tend to lose weight in old age. I didn’t really weigh any of my past hamsters so I don’t know whether they lost weight as they got older or not.

Serendipity the odd thing is that I’d say he is eating enough. I’m giving him a crushed up tablespoon of HH mixed with water every day and he is eating a good amount of it. I give him a pinch of hemp seeds every other day and he eats those. He will also take sunflower seeds, eat veggies and will nibble on nuts. So he shouldn’t be losing weight but he is. Maybe there is something else going on like you say. I think though that if there is something wrong with him it’s probably not curable so I might not stress him out by bundling him off to the vets. He still seems to be doing well in himself despite the weight loss. He is eating and drinking and although he’s slowed down he will still climb onto my hand to come out of his cage and sometimes he bumbles around his playpen a bit (though he more usually wants to snooze in a corner). I’m confident that he is not in pain which is important. Definitely if it starts to become obvious that he is suffering I would want to end that for him. But I don’t think we’ve reached that stage yet.