View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 04:36 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Older hamster not eating his food

I am sorry Quigley is not eating much and losing so much weight. How does he seem in himself? I have to say that is a really large amount of weight to lose. Even 20g weight loss is a lot in a hamster and he has lost about 60g. If he is struggling to eat as well it might be time to start thinking about his quality of life. Sorry I know that doesn't sound nice - but we do sometimes have to think about helping them on their way being a kindness. It can't be very nice for him not being able to eat and it is quite possible there is something else going on.

I know when Nugget started losing a lot of weight and looking thin (and he was still eating a lot), the vet said it really was time to help him on his way.

We all want them to die peacefully in their nests but some have a strong heart and keep going.

So the thing to decide is whether you think he is suffering. If you think he is then the only vet visit really would be to decide it is time to help him on his way.

If he is still enjoying the little bits of food he eats and seems ok in himself then see how he goes over the next few days.

High calorie foods are pecan nuts and hemp seeds - you can crush the pecan nuts between two teaspoons.

I think there may be something else going on. Nugget had cancer and that's what caused his weight loss.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote