View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 03:16 AM  
elaraks
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Rescue hamster - is this normal behaviour / settling in

Thanks everyone!! I was just stressing at work for no reason - he's still hiding but seeming more confident all the time!

As for set up - I have three boxes, two on one side and a larger on the other with no bottoms that go directly into the substrate for him to choose where to nest and burrow, a pringles tube he loves to sit in, and a lot of smaller tubes and covers. I used the cardboard that came with a hamster ball as a kind of arch to provide cover as well, and have a flat bit of cardboard that I've put at an angle starting at a bar that sort of divides the cage. He often sits behind it when people are in the room and pokes his head out now every so often so think it seems to be helping him feel more secure out of his chosen nest area. He also has a sandbath, bridge, see saw, chew toys, wheel etc !

The one thing I want to change is adding more substrate, as it's a bit low from where I'd like it atm. The woman wanted someone to rescue him ASAP and I didn't realise how much megazorb I had left until setting up his cage on saturday so no way I could have got any for Sunday. Atm it's around two inches thick at the middle, but goes up to 6/7 at each end. When he's had time to settle in properly (so a few weeks time) I intend to add more but don't want to do so right yet! I've been adding bits of tissue paper each day that he's been taking to his nest, but not too keen on a big refill of megazorb rn.

My room is definitely a bit cold atm, so going to try make it warmer for him (funny because until a week ago it was BOILING even without heating on!), and try not to worry! When I'm at home I'm generally not too worried but tend to when I'm at work!
elaraks is offline   Reply With Quote