View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 11:07 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: My Russian Dwarf died, I'm so upset as seemed quite young?

Hello. I am so sorry your dwarf hamster has passed. It is a terribly hard thing and they leave a big hole in our hearts. While 14 months does seem not particularly old, at 18 months they are considered old and life expectancy can be anything between 15 months and 3 years. 18 months to two years is usually expected. But some dwarf hamsters can have a shorter life span due to interbreeding. Virtually all dwarf hamsters from pet shops are hybrids of two different species of Russian dwarf hamsters - winter whites and Campbell’s. They may look like a winter white or look like a Campbell but genetically they are a mix of both species and are hybrid dwarf hamsters.

Hybrid dwarf hamsters can be prone to certain things like diabetes and can have a shorter lifespan but it can still be uncertain - some live longer and some don’t and some is just genetics or a congenital weakness they are born with. Just like humans. Some people die before their time.

We had a Robo dwarf hamster - they are supposed to live a bit longer but ours got cancer when he was only 18 months old. It is hard and not fair.

The thing to remember is your little dwarf hammy was lucky to have a lovely home and an owner who loved and cared for him - a good life.

You must miss him terribly but he is playing free over the rainbow bridge now. I hope you feel like getting another one soon as I find it helps. They will never replace the one you lost but they all have their own unique little personalities and I am sure would love a caring owner xxx
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote