Thread: Percy
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 01:32 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Percy

Now i feel a right hypocrite after telling people how unhealthy tubes are and advising them against using plastic tubes.

Percy has a tube running along the front of his bin cage, how controversial is that.

After removing all wooden items from his bin including the long ladders he liked to run over because of his diabetes i felt that i had to give him a plastic run of some kind so went to P@H then got the Dremel out again to create holes to feed the tube through. The two short access tubes (one tube cut into halves) on the inside i have lined with toilet roll tubes and the outside one i can dismantle to wash with a bottle brush when needed. He run through the tube twice then carried on with his favourite activity of bulldozing. He burrows horizontally rather than vertically so open, unobstracted floorspace is more important than depth of substrate.

I'm slowly getting to know Percy. When he's above ground he's not one to sit in a hide but moves around and runs through the seesaw tube or rolls in the sand if he's not on his wheel so i'm trying to think of more washable enrichment without intruding on his burrowing space. Maybe i'll add some small plastic shelves to hop on to or attach a plastic corner toilet to act as something to sit under (not that he would) and climb into, line it with moss or attach a shute.