View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: 2 Hamster Deaths in a week :(

So sorry to hear this. Agree with Shannon. Do you have a carbon monoxide alarm? They look like smoke alarms. It can affect a hamster before anyone else (like canaries). Mould isn't good for hamsters but I doubt it would cause sudden death like this. If the food had gone mouldy it could release some kind of toxins possibly but I don't think a hamster would eat something that smelled a bit mouldy anyway.

Cold weather is also an issue but it's not that cold yet (depending where you are) and assume you have heating on at some point during the day. You can get a digital room thermometer for reassurance. I try not to let it drop below 16 degrees in the room the hamsters are in and ideally in winter it should be 20 degrees but 16 degrees isn't really cold.

It could be coincidence but does seem unusual that they should both die at the same time (was it on the same day?). If there was time between them passing then it is likely to be just one of those things. A hamster can have a sudden heart attack. You say they were both under something when they died though which suggests they may have been aware of being near death possibly.

I am so sorry this has happened. I don't think it is anything you've done but it's good to check a few environmental things just in case.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote