Thread: Antlers?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 02:10 PM  
RenK777
Hamster Pup

Default Antlers?

Question for all of you! My husband hunts and we try to use as much of the deer as possible in every way possible so that it's not wasted. We prefer this to buying meat in the store that was often raised/dispatched in cruel ways. Last year, he shot a buck and the skull/antlers were still outside. The squirrels and other rodents had chewed one antler quite a bit but the other remains intact. I boiled it yesterday and I'm hoping to use it in my hamster tank. My husband shot another 8 pointer yesterday and I'm hoping to put one antler each in my daughter's hamster's tank and my other daughter's mouse tank. But I want to make sure it's safe. I read online that antlers make great chews and you can buy them specifically for this purpose. Does anyone know if boiling an antler is enough to make it safe or should I also soak in peroxide and boil again? I searched online but aside for aesthetic reasons to bleach (nope) and boil antlers and skulls, I can't find any posts regarding the proper treatment for making them pet-safe. Thanks!
RenK777 is offline   Reply With Quote