Thread: Percy
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2019, 12:59 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Percy

Update on Percy: well, the Savic Metro arrived and the base looked kind of warped, kept sliding on the table it was meant to sit and didn't feel right for Percy. Hard to explain, probably too different from what he's in now so i returned it. He's still in his bin but i have added more enrichment, see photo and he has a new wheel with a sturdier base because he somehow managed to almost knock his Kaytee Spinner over.
I'm still looking for an upgrade that has Percy written on it.

Percy appears a little more settled, comes to the window for treats and likes out of cage time in his play pen. I am trying to get him used to touch by using a soft pastry brush (thanks for the tip Serendipity) and have even stroked his back briefly with my finger without it getting bitten off.

Yesterday i cleaned his cage because it was miffy and he went nuts!! Put him in a box while i washed out his bin and he kept jumping up the sides. Put him in the play pen and he bit and head butted the panels then dug underneath them trying to get out so i put him in his bin cage while i was setting it up. Everytime i put more substrate in incl some old one, he came charging like a little bulldozer and dug it all up again. I put his freshly sieved sand pit in and he dug in it, rolled in it with sand flying everywhere, put his wheel in and Percy was on it. Add bendy ladders and Percy was zooming over them and under them so i offered a mealworm to pacify him which he ate in two seconds and then continued to dig various holes with substrate flying around him. The scenario was almost cartoonish.
BUT with all this happening and my hands in his bin, he did not once attack or try to bite my hands!
Once the set up was completed and exactly the way it was before, apart from the fact that it looked like a bomb called Percy hit it, i left him to it and went to clean Henry's cage.

Henry very calmly sat in his coconut in a box, poked his nose out now and again to check on progress and then went back to his house after pouching some toilet paper strips to make his bed and go back to sleep. No drama whatsoever.