View Single Post
Old 10-25-2019, 01:52 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: When do you see your hamster ?

It's very early days yet and he is still a baby so you'll have to wait and see. Hamsters have their own personalities just like humans and some are more sociable than others.
You are already able to interact with him and you are getting to know each other which is great. Treats are a good incentive for hamsters to get up for. What kind of treats do you give him? My dwarf loves meal worms.

Hamsters are nocturnal by nature and most active at night so best to play with them when they are awake and out of their nests as you do. They do change their timings sometimes though.

My dwarf was up and sniffing about this afternoon so i took him out and let him run around his play pen for a while but he's been in his cave since. He doesn't use a house either. My robo i haven't seen for a couple of days because he's awake when i was asleep with a cold but i know he's fine and active going by the state of his sandpit and wheel and absence of fresh food in the morning. Another one who doesn't use a house and disappears down a tunnel. My syrian comes out when he hears us making breakfast because he wants some and then disappears into his house till 22.00/ 23.00. He loves his house and will not sleep anywhere else. Sometimes he wants to come out of his cage but mostly he prefers to potter about and do his own thing so i sit next to his cage and chat to him when he pokes his nose out from his coconut hide.

All this is perfectly normal hamster behaviour. Both my dwarves pee in their wheels, seems to be a dwarf thing and so unlike my tidy but lazy syrian.

Then you get hamsters who are very sociable or rattle on their cages every evening desperate to get out. Not my lot.

It will be interesting for you to find out what kind of personality and character your hamster will grow up to be.

Love him and enjoy his company no matter how often you'll see him.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote