View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 02:09 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Barney cage for syrians

I think the Barney is a great cage for a Syrian. I've used it for our last two syrians. It comes with the basics - a good shelf and good house. Most people paint the wood items with plastikote water based enamel paint so they're wipe clean (it's pet safe). It then has a lot of scope for enrichment and you can use the bars as well as the floor area. I usually create a "roof run" - eg an additional shelf, hanging rat sputnik and a large rat tunnel tied to the roof between them. I also use large cork logs instead of the wood ramp - makes a nice dark tunnel and an interesting texture to climb over.

It has a lot of floor space. The extra 4cm depth (it's 54cm deep) really makes a lot of difference to usable floor area. The only thing with more floor area and good depth is the eco habitat - but I prefer barred cages. Or the 120cm Borneo cage from Germany but that is very tall and difficult to set up to be safe possibly.

For comparison, the detolf works out about 960 square inches - a lot of length but not much depth. The Barney floor area works out at about 835 square inches, with the base filled with substrate.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 10-21-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote