View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 11:13 AM  
babysecretyoyo
Newborn Pup

Default Re: My first hamster (roborovski) doesn't do nesting

That sounds like a good idea! Yea the igloo is super large compare to its size and translucent almost transparent with only one exit. Maybe I should try to DIY a cardboard corner hideout with more exits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrkogrimr View Post
There are some hamsters that prefer open nests, from what I can tell, so that is a possibility to consider. However, you might want to try him with a few different types of hideouts in case he is a particularly discerning (picky) little guy. I've seen lots of people use cardboard boxes to good effect; I recently had a cage set up where I buried a cardboard box under the substrate and covered the entrance with a bendy bridge for privacy and Cadmium loved it.

You might want to think about the materials the hides are made of or the layout; some hamsters can be very uncomfortable in a hide that only has one doorway, so maybe try a hide with multiple exits?

Failing that, a deep layer of substrate might be his preferred option; I've had cage set ups where Cadmium has ignored every single one of her hides in favour of a burrow she dug herself.

As for the igloo, is it opaque or translucent? Being able to see unclear shapes moving around outside might be unsettling? Or I may be anthropomorphising there Also worth noting that an igloo has one entrance/exit - I'd probably try offering him something with two or more exits.
babysecretyoyo is offline   Reply With Quote