View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 01:19 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: How to know if my hamster is happy?

I agree with the above. He looks to have plenty to do. One thing that helps them feel secure is overhead cover when out of their house, so a shelf or platform can help. It also gives somewhere else to go and a place to put heavier items - eg a sand dish or food bowl. As well as something to sit under - they often like to sit under a shelf to have a wash. Our Robo was in this terrarium initially and he moved his nest under the shelf, piled up the substrate in that corner himself and built a nest under it. But Robo behaviour is a bit different

I got a platform from getzoo which was very good. Or you can make one out of a piece of kiln dried pinewood and glue some dowel legs on. I got the taller getzoo one - 21cm tall meant it sat well above 5 or 6” of substrate but then you need a ramp - I used a large cork log partly under the platform as a ramp as had problems with a few ladders. The lower ramp would be ok as well but you would only get a couple of inches of substrate under it in that area and still leave headspace under it. You could then have substrate deeper at the other end. It enables them to bury hoards and dig tunnels a bit or just dig generally. I’ll link the getzoo platforms. They do one that goes round a corner and one that goes most of the length of the cage along the back.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote