View Single Post
Old 10-12-2019, 04:08 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Roborovski - too long nails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancerree View Post
Thank you for the advise. Where can I get the terracota tile or a stone which would be safe for hamster? Would some stone from pet store be fine from some other section like reptiles etc? I know bringing stone from outside is not very safe.

I will be changinng half of her bedding in cage to woodshavings, atm she has carefresh which might be too soft... I also provided 2 wood shelfs for parts of the bottom of the cage, since she used to dig there a lot in bedding and her cage is made from glass. Since I put that in I didn’t see her digging there yet.
I use terracotta pots and plant saucers from the garden centre, also buy pebbles there or get them from the beach. I give them a good wash in hot water and washing up liquid but don't worry about germs tbh.

Cork and wood tunnels to run through and play in are good too.

Wood shelves on the bottom of the tank may get pee'd on and personally, i prefer the bottom of my hamsters enclosures to be wet wipeable. My dwarves burrow way down and sleep at the bottom of their cages and don't use corner toilets like my tidy Syrian.

A paper based substrate like Carefresh is more suitable than wood shavings and hamsters like it to burrow and build tunnels. You can add a bit of hay too. I use Kaytee clean & cozy for all my hamsters which is even softer than Carefresh.

As already mentioned, a large sand pit is usually appreciated by hamsters for digging and rolling around in.
I placed my dwarves wheels in their sand pits (large biscuit tin) because they run so fast, especially the Robo, then sometimes fall off the wheel but have a soft landing on the sand. Saves on space too.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote