View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 07:14 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Cohabiting Syrians

I think what speaks for itself is your ability and willingness to take on advice and keep an open mind when it comes to being told something isn't a good idea or even something like needing a different cage size. Unfortunately, not everyone is so understanding and open minded when it comes to these wonderful creatures and many other pets.

I can definitely agree on cage size being in some ways more difficult to figure out with hamsters compared to some other pets, but I do know that any kind of pet store can and often will sell horribly unsuitable habitats(along with online businesses and such doing the exact same thing). A great example you're probably aware of being involved with reptiles are those awful turtle lagoon type enclosures and similar ridiculously tiny "turtle" enclosures, or another less obvious example some people may not quite understand are even the largest "iguana" enclosures sold by pet stores which would never comfortably accommodate a full grown iguana(and are riddled with other issues that I'd best avoid to stay on topic).

Perhaps something you could look into if you ever have the money and time along with the space would be setting up even a very small scale hamster rescue. It wouldn't fix all the problems, but it would at least mean that some more hamsters could have a safe stop along the way to a proper permanent home. I know with other species(and most likely hamsters as well) that having established rescue groups and even individuals who can take in some animals can be very helpful in keeping individual animals out of the worst case scenario situations like being abandoned or put into a more questionable rescue facility, so even if you still eventually did want to go into breeding when you have more genetics knowledge and general crucial knowledge you would also have the advantage of potential rehoming through an established network for example in the event that someone did buy a hamster from you but has to move somewhere pets are not allowed and you just didn't have enough space for another hamster.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote