View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 06:56 AM  
chloere93
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Cohabiting Syrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
And you could get two Alaska cages for the price of another Omlet! I think it would be useful to keep. I had an awful 3 tier rotostak thing at first and our hamster got lethargic and aggressive. I did some googling and upgraded him to an 80 x 50 cage and after a settling in period he was smiling I swear and happy as larry, leaping out of his wheel, digging and building mountains. It wasn't quite big enough for his large stuff though (he was a very large syrian) so I ended up upgrading him to a 100 x 50 which has always been just right.

Point being it really really hurt forking out for two cages but there was no way I was selling the rotostak for anyone else to put a hamster in so I kept a couple of the tubes and binned the rest. It just isn't suitable for a hamster to live in. The Omlet is better than the rotostak but not much!

If you are serious about wanting to become a breeder and looking into it all and getting the right stock, I would get two Alaska cages. Two 100cm cages would take up a lot of space. I bought a large console table recently so I could sit one underneath (on the photos) and one on top, so I could fit two 100cm cages but the table cost as much as another cage! Looks ok though and is space saving.

If you're only going to keep the one hamster I would seriously look to upgrading to a 100cm cage to fit a large wheel and plenty of enrichment and floorspace - either the Alexander, Barney, Marrakesch or maxi duna multy. The Savic Plaza is sold by pets at home and is £75 but to be honest I prefer the Barney or Alexander - they are easier to set up and already comes with a good shelf and house.
Wow! Thank you so much for all of your advice and recommendation.
It's honestly made me so sad to think that I bought such a poor cage for my hamster, I started off with a really standard pets at home cage because I spontaneously adopted a hamster from the rehome section (they always look too cute and sad for me to not adopt them!!) then I saw the omlet so well advertised and ended up buying into that. As I've mentioned to someone else, I have changed the wheel and tried to utilised the space as much as I can, but I'm definitely going to be investing in some bigger furniture or a cage. I might even be able to use the wood from the omlet and get someone to help me assemble something from that, as you say - I don't want to sell it on to someone else.

I love animals so much and I wouldn't want to ever be seen as irresponsible. Hamsters are amazing little creatures and I love getting mine out and even have a little silicone comb to brush him! (My partner thought I was mad when I bought that) so I do care a great deal for him, I was just a bit naive in caging- as you say there's not a lot sort of enforced around it like there is with reptiles requiring very specific cage sizes and such.

Again, thanks for all your advice and recommendations, I'll be sure to look into these and as soon as I have the money make some changes to his accommodation
chloere93 is offline   Reply With Quote