Thread: Hamster deaths
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster deaths

I don't think bleach is necessary - I don't like it. Beaphar pet disinfectant is fine or any pet disinfectant for small animals, then rinse well. It might be an idea to get rid of any wood items, but plastic and ceramic items can just be washed or cleaned with the pet disinfectant (really rinse well). Might be an idea to get a new bag of bedding and a new bag of food.

Personally I don't think it is something infectious - your last hamster died of old age not infection - although it is possible they could have had a uti or something.

The second hamster had a fall you think - that is an accident. The last one - it could well be genetic - this is sadly very common in pet shop hamsters - it isn't just in breeding it's bad breeding - certain colours shouldn't be bred with each other. They can be born with genetic defects and die young for no known reason.

It is getting colder now though and they can be prone to go into torpor if they get too cold. Not sure where you live but we haven't even got the heating on at the moment, just a fire in the evening, so not really cold yet. Best thing for reassurance is get a digital thermometer for the room the hamster is in and make sure it doesn't go below 16 degrees and ideal is at about 20 degrees.

As you've had many hamsters you'll know about plenty of beddign and nesting material etc. Our hamster has a big house with a litter tray inside it and builds a big nest in there. He also piled substrate roudn the outside - insulation maybe.

I think you have just been very unlucky and would get your hamsters from somewhere else. The second one may also have had some genetic heart defect or something - assume your cage is set up so falls couldn't be an issue?
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote