View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 06:28 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Cohabiting Syrians

And you could get two Alaska cages for the price of another Omlet! I think it would be useful to keep. I had an awful 3 tier rotostak thing at first and our hamster got lethargic and aggressive. I did some googling and upgraded him to an 80 x 50 cage and after a settling in period he was smiling I swear and happy as larry, leaping out of his wheel, digging and building mountains. It wasn't quite big enough for his large stuff though (he was a very large syrian) so I ended up upgrading him to a 100 x 50 which has always been just right.

Point being it really really hurt forking out for two cages but there was no way I was selling the rotostak for anyone else to put a hamster in so I kept a couple of the tubes and binned the rest. It just isn't suitable for a hamster to live in. The Omlet is better than the rotostak but not much!

If you are serious about wanting to become a breeder and looking into it all and getting the right stock, I would get two Alaska cages. Two 100cm cages would take up a lot of space. I bought a large console table recently so I could sit one underneath (on the photos) and one on top, so I could fit two 100cm cages but the table cost as much as another cage! Looks ok though and is space saving.

If you're only going to keep the one hamster I would seriously look to upgrading to a 100cm cage to fit a large wheel and plenty of enrichment and floorspace - either the Alexander, Barney, Marrakesch or maxi duna multy. The Savic Plaza is sold by pets at home and is £75 but to be honest I prefer the Barney or Alexander - they are easier to set up and already comes with a good shelf and house.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote