View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 AM  
Shannonmcn
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Cohabiting Syrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloere93 View Post
Thanks I've had a look at the detolf and they do look very good actually- I'm just not DIY savvy so I'm wondering how to best source a lid once I figure that part out I'd be more than happy to swap out- but then I'd only be selling my omlet onto someone else so it's swings and roundabouts really.

My primary reason for wanting to breed hamsters was simply due to the fact of seeing how many hamsters are returned to my local pet shop by young children because they are unable to handle them out of fear of being bitten, I thought that selling hamsters which have been used to handling from a young age (I know you can't handle them for a while before people jump on me about that) would give children more incentive to be tentative to their small pets. Pet shops just don't seem to put the time and energy into their animals and I've noticed they tend to be very skittish. I love animals and don't have many hobbies so my time is spent looking after my pets which gives me a lot of pleasure, so I felt I would have a lot and time and heart to invest in this. I don't want people thinking that it's just because I want a bunch of cute baby hamsters around haha

It's definitely something I'll look into more, I wasn't going to just expect a yes from people and dive straight in to breeding- it was just a question I wasn't 100% sure on as being a reptile keeper, a lot of reptiles are advised not to be kept together unless they have ample space of 2 of everything (hides, water bowls, etc.) so I wasn't certain whether this could apply to other animals or if it was a definite outright "no". I have my answer now and I'm satisfied to do everything in stages, I just don't want people acting like I'm a complete idiot with no knowledge. So long as people respect that, I'll respect their advice.
The lid is actually not hard at all. I managed a serviceable job with a blunt hand saw, some gorilla glue and a staple gun. If you have any favors to call in with friends who own a table saw you'll have it done in 20 mins! (Or if you can convince someone at B&Q to break the rules for you and cut the thinner wood sections to size.)

I absolutely get that feeling, that would be what would tempt me as well. I'm in Northern Ireland and we don't really have any established hamsterys here. I get my hams from the p@h adoption section and from gumtree in the exact circumstances you're talking about. I don't think the solution is necessarily to add more hamsters to that mix though. Not until you're a literal expert and can truly say you're breeding to improve the species. Which is a years long adventure.

If you're in Sussex you should join the Southern Hamster Club! Go to some shows, speak to some established breeders! We have a few on the forum too.
Shannonmcn is offline   Reply With Quote