View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 01:04 PM  
SophieandEduardo
Newborn Pup

Default My young hamster is a weirdo??

Ok so the title is a bit harsh....

I have a young Syrian hamster. He is doing well with getting used to me. I’ve been letting him run all over me in the bath because it’s a place he can’t escape from but can explore me at his own pace. Anyway.. he’s doing a few things that I just can’t explain!

I made him an enclosure, based on a very big long storage box. It’s divided into two sections - one with sawdust where his flying saucer wheel, cork log, food and water bowl and gnawing toys are. The other part is filled with deep paper bedding for burrowing and general snuggling and sleeping.

He had tubing running all around the edge of the bedding part, underneath the deep bedding. I thought he’d enjoy that. I started to notice that during the night he had been clogging up one of the entrances of the tubes with the sawdust. I don’t know how he managed it to be honest it was very densely clogged up... but I thought oh well, it’s probably natural for a hamster to not want too many entrances to his tunnels. But then something odd happened. He didn’t come out one night. I wake up several times in the night (it’s just normal for me) and didn’t see him out at all. In the morning I had to investigate because I thought he might be unwell or dead. I gently parted areas of the bedding hoping to find him but he wasn’t there... I got rid of all of the bedding and that’s when I saw him in the tube, with a dense wall of sawdust either side of him! He had barricaded himself in the tube and couldn’t move or escape.

Why on earth?!?!
Sorry for the long post
SophieandEduardo is offline   Reply With Quote