View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 03:46 AM  
chocolatebear

Default could this environment be made suitable or should i rehome him?

for various reasons i would rather not get into, i live in an SUV. maybe this was stupid of me but i found an ad in the local online classifieds for a 'free hamster' and he was shown living in a 10 gallon tank (hes a syrian!!) with just a wheel, a food dish and a bottle and when i contacted the ad inquiring about why he was being rehomed i was even more appalled by the answer: my son got bored of him. so long story short i now have a hamster in an SUV and things have been going ok but its only been 4 days. he still lives in his little tank right now and i plan to set up a bin cage for him but i do have a dilemma

is my situation even suitable for him? could it be made suitable? or should i rehome him? its not cold yet, but it does get kinda cold where i live. it also gets hot in the summer but i have searched online for some ways around both issues such as:

- shade cloth/aluminet draped over my car during the day possibly in conjunction with some parking spot that is shaded + windows open (i actually work night shifts so this could work well; i could keep tabs on how hot it is because i'd be in the car too)

- lots of bedding in his cage, maybe a heating pad or similar to rest the cage onto + wrapping the cage in blankets and such to serve as extra insulation when it is cold

and then i was thinking i could get a very high sided/escapeproof playpen type of deal and use that in the trunk area for out of cage time. but i dont know man. i dont want to rehome him (my life sucks and im lonely lol) but i will if its whats best for him.

thoughts?
chocolatebear is offline   Reply With Quote