View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 01:50 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Henry and Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
With our first Syrian, Charlie, who used to hide away, I used to put a tube over his house door with a smelly treat at the far end. He would walk into the tube and I'd then put both hands over the ends of the tube and lift it out and put one end into a hamster ball and he'd walk into the ball - then pop the lid on quick - and carry him to the bath in the ball. You could wear gloves when lifting him out in the tube if he might bite or make you jump, so you don't drop him!

Yes the toothbrush means you can do it at arms length. It would be wonderful if he was tamed eventually - very rewarding. If he is a bit crazy he may never be really tame but should be handleable and learn to trust you a bit.
Percy sleeps way down in the substrate and not in his house which makes it more difficult to tempt him into something.
Fact is that to get him out i would need to disturb him because he now spends more time underground than in the first couple of days. Not sure that would be a good idea though.

He was still in his cave when i went to bed at 1am but awake. I saw him washing and moving around when i rustled the substrate. He wouldn't surface then but had been active during the night. No idea where he is this morning, probably under the table.

I know that its difficult to tame burrowers who don't surface that much when humans are awake and Percy is going to be a real challenge where taming is concerned.

I'm quite looking forward to see how things are going to develop though.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote