View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 01:11 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: downsizing my hamster cage?

All cages have their pros and cons and the Alaska is a good size and has a lot of scope for added enrichment. With it being a barred cage and a good height you could do something like a roof run. I have that in my cage - a rat sputnik in one corner with a large rat tube tied to the roof leading from it and diagonally across to a shelf in the other corner. You can still use the top door but not as easily. Plus an additional shelf possibly. So as well as the floor space your hamster can get from one side of the cage to the other via the shelf/tube sputnik - like a circular route

I think it will be absolutely fine also. You can also give more out of cage time in a playpen area. You might even find your hamster prefers it. I prefer barred cages because you can attach things to the bars and the Alaska has that nice big front door which makes it easier to interact with the hamster, and for them to come to the door to come out.

Some people have very large cages with not enough enrichment in, so focus on having the most enrichment you can in the Alaska, that is the key, plus out of cage time.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote