Thread: Percy
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2019, 07:06 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Percy

New boy Percy, an adopted Russian dwarf hybrid is a spirited little fellow as already mentioned in the Henry and Gordon thread.

He attacks my fingers/hand soon as i put it in his cage to offer him a seed. Not sure what's up with him, maybe he is just very terratorial, insecure or simply a bolshie little dwarf?

Yesterday i set up a playpen and got him out with a mug to see how he'd react out of his cage.
He run around, through and over tubes, climbed over things and nose butted others. To me it looked like he was having fun. I didn't try and interact with him because i thought that would be stimulation overload.
He bit my hand or glove rather, covering the mug when i put him back. I wore gardening gloves because i didn't want to be nervous of getting bitten.

He was the same in his tiny pet shop cage. The girl couldn't touch him either and used a box to transfer him into my pet carrier.

This morning i gave him a bit of porridge in an egg cup and in true Percy fashion he lunged at the cup and bit it. The porridge wasn't a success. He twice dipped his nose in it then retreated twice to wash his face and that was that.

He is so different from my other two. He is overweight and a diabetes candidate so needs exercise and out of cage time. He is on a healthier diet already and eats his greens too.

Any idea what i could or should do for this hamster and how best to attempt to tame him? He's wild at the moment and i wonder what made him that way.