Thread: Injured Robo
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 11:06 PM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Injured Robo

I think the main issue is that we can't "grab" her in the first place, because she zips around like lightning and she bites us now out of fear (she never bit before this). Once scruffed, she doesn't move and is completely immobilised. At least, my husband could do it very well at the vet's and she was as good as gold - we could do anything we wanted and she just didn't move/ squirm. We just don't know how to initiate the scruffing, as the vet was the one to initiate it and she just scruffed so easily on the first try, as if my Robo was a tame puppy.

We have come out with alternatives to the scruffing (cotton bud swab tip) but it only works for applying small dabs of cream. She jumps away everytime we dab her (and I don't blame her, it's probably super sore). It's not done well at all, but better than nothing. It's the cleaning part that I am worried about, as it is impossible to clean. The vet gave us some cleaning solution that we are supposed to wipe her with throughoutly each day, and it cannot be done unless she is scruffed. The cleaning is very crucial and I can't skip it.

Videos don't help because the ones on YouTube are usually Syrians, and tame ones at that. We know the middle part (how to maintain a scruff) but it's how to initiate a scruff on a skittish Robo that is really beyond us.

I kinda regret not taming her properly now because I didn't think/ know it was essential for a hamster's well-being to allow us to hold her. I used to just stroke her and we (my Robo and I) were happy with that arrangement.

On the bright side, she loves her oral medication as if it were a treat. She smells less whiffy today. I hope that means her wound's condition has improved.
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote