Thread: hamster tubes
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 04:57 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: hamster tubes

Hi and welcome, what kind of hamster did you get?
It's so exciting to get a hamster.

Hamsters who burrow and not all do, are quite capable to create their own tunnel system as long as they have enough suitable substrate and some hay available to them. That's what most hamsters enjoy doing, its a hamster thing.

My Syrian hamster doesn't burrow, he likes to sit on top of shelves but my Robo does. I watch his tail disappear down a tunnel when he goes to bed.

I don't use plastic tubes because i find them unhygienic and hard to clean should a hamster pee in it which they would. Ventilation or the lack of it could be an issue and plastic tubes inside an acrylic tank could cause consensation, mould and who knows what.

I'm not trying to put you off your idea because the choice is yours and i'm only voicing an opinion.

It also takes a while to get to know your hamster, to see what the hamster likes to do because they are all so different with their own personalities. I'd stick to the basics for a start, plenty of substrate so the hamster can burrow if he wants to, a species appropriate wheel, a house large enough to make a big nest in and plenty of hidey places like bendy bridges, a platform to sit under, a coconut hide etc and a sandbath.

Hamsters are lovely little creatures and a joy to have as a pet.
Must go, my Robo woke up and is running around his sandpit....
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote