View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 06:58 PM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hello! New here :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenBatnana View Post
Oh, is this another Dutchie I see? Thank you for reassuring me.. I've been feeling so guilty for my past hamsters and the current one, but luckily I have built the new bin cage! Tomorrow we're going to the pet store to buy a standing water bottle and wheel and maybe some more cute stuff, and then Stripey will be able to move in! I'd also need to look into the bedding thing and food some more today, the bedding I have right now is wood shavings, but it doesn't list the type so I'd rather switch to be safe. Food I will look into to see if I can buy anything better at the pet store. I'm pretty sure my wheel is okay, it's the 16,5 cm Silent Spinner, though, I need to buy a new one anyways so I'll see if I can find anything better. Excited
No, I'm not Dutch. Knuffels is the only word I've learnt from a friend, and I found it a really adorable word!

16.5cm seems OK for a dwarf but to be sure, just check if Stripey's back arches while he runs on it. I won't worry about getting a new wheel if his back is straight. However, if you do want to get a new one, do avoid anything that is barred.

Food options in my country aren't great, so I've had to order what I can online and also supplement it with other stuff. My Roborovski probably still doesn't get the best possible nutrients, but I'm proud to say I tried my best, and her fur is really beautiful (smooth and silky) compared to the ones in the pet shops near me (wild and straggly). Just read up and keep trying - I'm sure you'll do great!

I helped my hamster transition from a small cage to a bin cage by placing the small cage (with its door wide open) directly inside the bin. My hamster could hop in and out at her own leisure and I only removed the small cage from the bin several days later, after I was sure she won't be distressed. Would definitely recommend this if it is viable, as it seems like a stress-free transition method for the hamster.

Your journey sounds so exciting. If you are willing to do so, please share photos of Stripey and his bin cage because we would love to see them.
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote