View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 11:24 AM  
Schwartzie
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Your advice is vital...😫

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
A porch isn't really suitable for housing a hamster unfortunately, even if screened in. Even if he seems too loud, he really must be housed indoors exclusively which does not include any sort of porch or similar location no matter how loud he may be.

The 12 inch Silent Runner(not Spinner as Silent Spinners are very low quality wheels and rarely if ever work let alone stay silent and they have a safety hazard due to an inherent design flaw that makes them prone to splitting apart with usage which can lead to serious injuries) could help significantly in keeping the noise down especially if you've been using a Comfort Wheel which are notoriously noisy wheels!

As the advice from me will always be, do not use hamster balls. I've posted on the forum several times on the reasons why they're just not suitable including the blocking of hamster senses, along with the good alternatives that actually allow enrichment. The best thing to do with that hamster ball is instead of using it either throw it out or keep it for transferring your hamster out of their cage and into a playpen or something similar!
Please can you explain why hamsters should be exclusively housed indoors. I’ve been doing extensive and when a I say extensive I mean hours and hours of research on the origins of the Syrian, housing, cages sizes, burrowing, food, roughage etc...the list goes on and on and I haven’t come across any literature that states that hamsters may not be housed outside...this is relevant if the conditions are suitable e.g. no extreme heat and cold etc.

Syrian hamsters come from the wild originally. Yes, you’re dealing with the domestic breed that has been bred in captivity for years but what is the difference between housing a hamster on a porch versus your living room. If you allow direct sunlight or gale force winds best against the cage or shine on it rightfullly so but please show me where there is credited evidence and research of not housing in suitable conditions?

I’ve seen your posts on the topic of cages and I want to be heard. I came onto this forum as a newbie...complete newbie. We live in a small villa and in the beginning I didn’t understand why the size of cages was so important. I’ve been investing time after gently and kindly being directed by members on this forum to educate myself and the outcome is the monstrosity of a cage we are building for Ragna which is taking up space I never thought I would allow for a small individual such as a hamster. My journey of knowledge and now delving into the German standards came from building up slowly from a smaller cage up. You have a wealth of knowledge but to be honest I was shocked when I popped into the forum this evening and saw that your comments are quite snappy. Not everyone has the means or funds or space to build cages that are 10 square feet. They are doing the best they can with what they can afford. Telling a new hamster owner that they have to invest in a 10 square foot cage when they just getting into learning all they can is overwhelming. Why don’t you encourage other members like members did for me and encourage with what they have...start there. It’s because of this forum that I am doing what I am doing for my hamster but no one made me feel inadequate.

I have been off the forum for a couple of weeks due to work etc and really...I was a little taken aback by your tone in the threads...it was one after another.
Schwartzie is offline   Reply With Quote