View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 10:46 AM  
Griel
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Did my hamster become too fat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostsInSnow View Post
I work in a vets so that dog advice seems very extreme if they hadn't even seen your dog to examine them yet!

Anyway, about your hammy, it could just be a genetic thing. I've had Chinese weigh as little as 18g and as much as 40g+ and it's the same with other hamster species too. How often are you feeding her? It could be that's she's getting lots of food so is just picking out the fatty, more favoured pieces and leaving the healthier stuff.

If she's got no fur loss and is getting about fine and seems healthy then I wouldn't worry too much, with the wheel thing, some hammies (just like humans) are more active than others.
Yes, that's why I'm kinda skeptical about the vet, as they haven't even seen my dog. And it did seem like a small thing (not enough to warrant surgery) because the dog recovered after two days of diarrhea.

I feed a spoonful, same as the other dwarf. The other one looks more like she's of a normal size and has even lost a little weight lately (probably because of all the exercise on the wheel), but not drastically.

I don't see fur loss, she seems to be getting about fine. She does burrow and climb around normally, only she doesn't use the wheel as much as the other dwarf. I don't mind if she's got plump genes or if she is a less active hamster by nature, just that I do get concerned if she's gotten overweight within such a short timeframe - wondering if it's unhealthy.

Thanks for your reply, good to know that their genes can cause them to vary so much even within the same species. I'll continue to monitor her closely to see if any other unusual symptoms occur.
Griel is offline   Reply With Quote