View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 PM  
Phoebe05
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiehat View Post
Try a sand bathe my hamster was grooming himself a lot at first but he soon settled down after the first month think it was the stress of moving and not having a sand-bathe when previously in the pet store he seemed to have one. Some hamsters experience stress due to moving as well as most likely a switch of food as the pet stores and rescue centre may use different ones to the one you have. Try maybe going a bit slower with handling as he maybe not ready yet or nervous still, try giving him a treat while holding it or place it in your hand so he has to walk across your hand to get it that seems to help build there confidence as they associate you and being handle with something positive
Hi, thankyou so much for your reply! It means a lot that you’re helping me! He didn’t have a sand bathe in the pet store, but do they need a sand bathe? It it worth getting one? Freddie’s cage isn’t the best set up, it’s large enough for him as I have checked with several pet stores, but not much room for many more things in his cage😂x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite View Post
I've had my dwarf hammy for 8 months now, and she's still nervous of being held. It takes time, and some hamsters are just naturally not keen on being handled much. It sounds as though you are doing everything right, so give Freddie a bit more time and try to take things at his speed. Have you tried playing with him in a large box or playpen? Another thing you could consider is your hands - do they always smell the same when you handle Freddie? I always wash my hands before I handle my dwarf, so she is used to the same scent. Talk gently to him, too, so he gets used to your voice.
Hi! Thankyou for your reply also, it makes me feel so much better and causes me so much less stress knowing your advice and experiences as I’m constantly worrying and stressing over him at the moment! I will try to take things at his speed, I suppose not all hamsters love being held and that’s okay!☺️ I haven’t tried playing with him in a playpen to be honest, however I sat on the sofa with him once, I gave him somewhere to hide but he was running around and climbing on the sofa so he loved it! Maybe I should get him a playpen, would this make him more comfortable and happy do you think? I do also wash my hands before handing him yes, I work in a restaurant so my hands smell strongly of food even when I wash them, so maybe he doesn’t like that? I just feel bad for not getting him out everyday and interacting with him, should I still be putting him in his ball even though he is not used to me yet or not? I do talk to him most times, he just stands on his hind legs and listens☺️X

Last edited by souffle; 09-07-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Phoebe05 is offline   Reply With Quote