Thread: My cage
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 12:08 AM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: My cage

1. If you are able to, please cut open the sides of your cage and mesh them. This promotes better air ventilation. You are right that the hamster will barely be able to feel the ceiling fan, as the air is not circulating at hamster-level. Your hamster is a small creature right at the bottom of the bin and will find it hard to get fresh air. I've attached a bin cage sample photo that is meshed at the side and the top. Ideally you should do at least two sides (length-wise) and the top.

2. You can prepare a small USB fan and have it blowing gently through the mesh at a small corner of your cage (so your hamster can easily run away and hide elsewhere if it feels too cold). The breeze should be very very gentle so as not to disturb the aspen shavings, as you have to be careful that your hamster doesn't catch a cold.

3. The chilled ceramic items as mentioned are already very good. You can also chill her bath sand if you wanted to.

I have loooots of other cooling down items, because heat is a huge concern for me too, and I really cracked my head for this one. So here are some of the ideas (with photos):

A. Essential Oil Burner: I got one new from the dollar store and it's a very nice bit of ceramic that my hamster really loves. She snuggles inside as a cooling nest, and sometimes she sits on the flat part on top with a snack to enjoy the cooling seat and breeze.

B. Metal Box with Ice Block: You can put the ice block in the freezer every night, and lock the ice block inside the box before you leave in the morning. Your hamster will be able to enjoy the chilling effect of the box by sleeping on it or next to it, and the metal box will prevent it from being able to access the ice block.

C. Cooling Plate: In theory this should work with any piece of aluminium plate, but I personally prefer to buy one that is made especially for hamsters, because I would be worried about the aluminium piece having any sharp edges.

D. Ice House: This is a normal hideout that has a cooling plate inside. My hamster likes to chill in this sometimes.

E. Glass sake bottle: This is a bottle with a hole in the side, especially for hamsters. You can put pieces of ice in the bottle and put the ball on top to prevent your hamster from falling in. Your hamster will be able to climb into the hole to enjoy the chilling effect. I recommend getting a screw on precautionary lid for it, and also, do not put the bottle anywhere near areas that your hamster can climb in the first place. This should only be used if there are no children or animals around that could accidentally push the bottle over while you are away. Ensure that you hamster has a dry place (platform) to run to, in the unlikely event the bottle falls over and causes the floor to be wet.

F. Cookie Cups: I did not know cookie cups were a thing until yesterday, and I have been intending to get a plain white one to try it out. This should theoretically work in a similar manner to the glass sake bottle. I intend to put water in the cup and seal it off permanently, then I can just keep freezing the same water over and over again. My hamster's a Robo so yes, she will fit in there, and the opening is very wide. I'm not sure what species your hamster is, so check the dimensions before you invest in one.

G. DIY Budget Cooling Pad For Small Pets (by ErinsAnimals): You can look this up on Youtube, I thought it was a really brilliant idea but I haven't been able to find suitable items. Anyway, my cage is really too full with all these cooling items already.

H. Pebble: My hamster has a flat sterilised pebble that she uses to cool off too. I've seen her hug it to sleep.

I love giving my hamster a few different cooling items, so if she's managed to warm one up with her body heat, she can move on to the next. Also, the different textures give her variety and keep her interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Essential Oil Burner.JPG (28.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Metal Box with Ice Block.JPG (21.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Cooling Plate.JPG (30.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Ice House.JPG (37.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Glass Sake Bottle.JPG (14.1 KB, 6 views)
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote