Thread: My cage
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 09:43 AM  
zinwei
Newborn Pup

Default Re: My cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Your cage is just above the minimum size recommended by a few inches. Personally I would go as large as I could, if your hamster starts showing signs of stress you may want to try and upgrade.

30 degrees is rather hot for humans and hamsters, especially as it is not in a metal wired cage. Cages like yours can hold the heat in as less air circulates.

Do you have a fan that you can run? aim it at the cage but not directly at the hamster.

You could try putting some of the ceramic items you appear to have in a fridge to cool them down for your hamster too. The sand bath is probably cooling for him, so that could be why he is asleep there.

From the pic it is hard to see how deep you have the bedding, but in a bin cage like that you can easily go 6 inches or more to encourage burrowing type behaviour. I'm also not sure what type of bedding/substrate you are using.

You may want to look at adding some more tunnel/bridge type items. You don't always have to buy these as you could look around to see if you have any cardboard packaging that you could recycle. Try and fill the empty spaces a bit with items that your hamster can hide and feel secure under. A few wooden items may be good as well as these help keep their claws and teeth trim.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you, you can just work on adding/improving things one thing at a time.
Yeah its really feel hot for me too, I thinking to make a big hole on the side and mount a fan to suck perhaps hot air put of the cage. I do have a fan but I doubt it blow the hot air downward as its a ceiling fan.

I try to put the 2 ceramic items currenly have in the cage into the fridge to cool it down overnight and put it back to the cage in the morning before I go to work, hope it helps.

I did not have a deep bedding but the bedding I'm using is aspen, but it doesnt feel soft like the one I used to see in the youtube videp that others use. i will consider the use recycled paper bedding (living world fresh n comfy) next week as I just changed my bedding today.

I have some wood items but I removed it as I keep seeing my hamster scratching himself I afraid that it could be mites, still monitoring for another week. Hopefully not.

Thanks for your advices it really help me a lot. Dont worry to overlwhelmed me I preferred to suggest all at once rather than bit by bit so I can prepare earlier and I do digest faster
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images (4).jpeg (6.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg aspen-wood-shavings.jpg (83.6 KB, 7 views)
zinwei is offline   Reply With Quote