Thread: My cage
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 08:18 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: My cage

Your cage is just above the minimum size recommended by a few inches. Personally I would go as large as I could, if your hamster starts showing signs of stress you may want to try and upgrade.

30 degrees is rather hot for humans and hamsters, especially as it is not in a metal wired cage. Cages like yours can hold the heat in as less air circulates.

Do you have a fan that you can run? aim it at the cage but not directly at the hamster.

You could try putting some of the ceramic items you appear to have in a fridge to cool them down for your hamster too. The sand bath is probably cooling for him, so that could be why he is asleep there.

From the pic it is hard to see how deep you have the bedding, but in a bin cage like that you can easily go 6 inches or more to encourage burrowing type behaviour. I'm also not sure what type of bedding/substrate you are using.

You may want to look at adding some more tunnel/bridge type items. You don't always have to buy these as you could look around to see if you have any cardboard packaging that you could recycle. Try and fill the empty spaces a bit with items that your hamster can hide and feel secure under. A few wooden items may be good as well as these help keep their claws and teeth trim.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you, you can just work on adding/improving things one thing at a time.