View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM  
isabelliii
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Syrian hamster potential tooth infection

Hi everyone, I’ve had my Syrian hamster for about a year and a half, she is around 2 years of age. Recently I noticed a lump under her eye and took her to the vets who prescribed baytril for 7 days, and instructions to return if there was no change after this week. So I took her in today and the vet emphasised how difficult it would be to put her under anaesthetic due to her age and the size of hamsters, and hinted that maybe I should think about putting her to sleep. In the time I’ve had her I’ve been amazed by her; she is so crazy and the most active hamster I’ve ever met, and since this lump appeared I’ve seen no changes in her attitude.

So, I need advise on what to do now. I hate to think about her suffering however starting from today I am giving her metacam for pain relief prescribed by the vet. Should I continue giving her baytril alongside of this ? Again, she’s showing no change in her attitude and is acting and eating exactly the same, but I’m unsure if she’s just good at hiding pain ???

Her still high spirits and general busyness make me incredibly reluctant to put her to sleep now , she doesn’t seem ready to die. Obviously I will when the time is right put her to sleep, but right now she seems her usual self.

Sorry this is so long, I’m just struggling with what to do with her. Would continuing her on metacam be okay and should I continue with baytril alongside it? Any help appreciated as I am at a loss.
isabelliii is offline   Reply With Quote