View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 12:48 PM  
Wereham
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Your thoughts on these cages

It’s so good to get in-depth reviews on these! I think I may sell my Ruffy and get one of these eventually. I really thought the Ruffy would be the right size, but once I put a wheel/house, a hide and sand box in there’s not much room!

Ambrosius does seem fine in his current set up which is much bigger than the tank he was in at the pet shop, but I’d like to be able to make it more enriching and have him able to burrow and explore. (If I had the room for a detolf!)

But I think I’ll hold off changing him just yet until he’s properly settled in and he’s tamed. He’s not aggressive but he is skittish and nervous which is understandable, so I’m taking taming very slow and probably giving him way too many treats!

I have a Sputnik in his cage, mostly because the first night I got him he monkey barred and I wanted to make sure he had places to go and a way to get down, but he’s not really used it since. I may add a small level or get a ledge so he can walk right into it.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I think an ideal cage would be the Alexander or Barney from Zooplus I have also found 80 x 50 not quite big enough for a Syrian, with a wheel and all their stuff in. But find 100cm x 50cm to be just right, and most syrians are very happy with that size. I have the Barney cage, which has plenty of floor space being a bit deeper (54cm) - and it is easier to put the wheel where you want it due to the flat top. But it is quite a bulky cage with the extra depth.

The Alexander is less bulky and slightly taller with the "racetrack" shelves which is almost another full level. It also comes with a really good built in long house in the base - big enough to fit a litter tray inside and a big cosy nest (they will use a litter tray inside a house). It is slightly more tricky to fit a syrian sized wheel in due to the shelves- most people put it centre back and leave out the centre back shelf. But then you don't get the "racetrack" of shelving. Although you can put the centre shelf at the front

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small...r_cages/174238

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small...r_cages/189303

I prefer the Alexander personally - it was out of stock when I got the Barney, but both are good. I don't think I would go bigger than 100 x 50 if your hamster is used to an 80 x 50 cage. It's a good step up without being overwhelming. The Alexander shelves can make them feel more secure from above, for a nervy hamster. On the other hand you can add whatever you want to the Barney cage which still has one good shelf. Hanging rat sputniks also give overhead cover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I think an ideal cage would be the Alexander or Barney from Zooplus I have also found 80 x 50 not quite big enough for a Syrian, with a wheel and all their stuff in. But find 100cm x 50cm to be just right, and most syrians are very happy with that size. I have the Barney cage, which has plenty of floor space being a bit deeper (54cm) - and it is easier to put the wheel where you want it due to the flat top. But it is quite a bulky cage with the extra depth.

The Alexander is less bulky and slightly taller with the "racetrack" shelves which is almost another full level. It also comes with a really good built in long house in the base - big enough to fit a litter tray inside and a big cosy nest (they will use a litter tray inside a house). It is slightly more tricky to fit a syrian sized wheel in due to the shelves- most people put it centre back and leave out the centre back shelf. But then you don't get the "racetrack" of shelving. Although you can put the centre shelf at the front

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small...r_cages/174238

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small...r_cages/189303

I prefer the Alexander personally - it was out of stock when I got the Barney, but both are good. I don't think I would go bigger than 100 x 50 if your hamster is used to an 80 x 50 cage. It's a good step up without being overwhelming. The Alexander shelves can make them feel more secure from above, for a nervy hamster. On the other hand you can add whatever you want to the Barney cage which still has one good shelf. Hanging rat sputniks also give overhead cover.
Wereham is offline   Reply With Quote