Thread: Lazy hamster
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2019, 12:46 PM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Lazy hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonc View Post
I'm not sure if hes overweight, hes a naturally big hamster anyway as I got him from a breeder. He was up at 12 midnight and I opened his door but he just wasn't interested and went back in his house, I thought all hamsters enjoyed coming out but obviously not.
It may be that he's not really got used to out of cage time yet and needs some time to get used to the idea that it is actually fun but I find that different hamsters seem to prefer to do different things in their out of cage time... Charlotte loves to run around and explore, Emmi likes to dig and Leo and Jack prefer to sit and snuggle up on me for example so it may take a while for you to work out what your hamster enjoys best.

Jack's mother Cora never seemed to like out of cage time. Cora used to prefer an activity in her cage such as hiding treats for her or enrichment feeding so if it does turn out that he doesn't enjoy out of cage time then there's still plenty you can do.

You mention your hamster was from a breeder so they are likely to have been bred for a laid back temperament and whilst it can make taming easier, it does mean that they may seem less active than their pet shop counterparts.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote