View Single Post
Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 PM  
Wereham
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Your thoughts on these cages

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas! He does seem happy in the set up I have, no bar chewing or monkey barring (apart from the first night I got him when he was exploring!)
I think it’s just me wanting to give him more space; I’ve got some great toys and tunnels and I can’t fit much in there—but he doesn’t seem to mind!

That cage is very similar to what I was thinking of lunathehamstet1. I’d divide the cage into 3 probably the first level I’d attach just above the bottom door then I’d split it again midway dividing the top door. I’d then build the sides up with Perspex at the bottom so I could put lots of bedding, at least in one side.

I definitely wouldn’t use it as is as it’s way too high.

The other cages you’ve mentioned look great but they’re not that much bigger than what I’ve got right now. Perhaps if they had two levels.

I think one of the reasons I was looking into DIY was because it would potentially look more aesthetically pleasing and I could tweak it to how I wanted more easily—but most things I’ve looked at are around the size of the pawhut cage! And I wouldn’t have to do much to make it hamster safe.

One thing I was looking at DIYing was the Ikea Stuva storage bench, but after I’ve brought Perspex/wire meshing/stapler/metal cutter etc it would probably be close to £100. And I’ve never made anything before so I don’t know if it will turn out ok! Maybe I’ll just check out the charity shops and see if they have any cabinets that would work

I am still trying to gain his trust so I’ll be keeping him in the Ruffy for now while we bond anyway

Thanks again!
Wereham is offline   Reply With Quote