View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 07:03 PM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Henry and Gordon

There's no harm giving Gordon some tissue with your scent on it. Talk to him softly (or just let him get used to your voice in the background, in general).

I think 6.5 inch is fine for a Robo. You could get a bigger one if you wanted to, but it's not necessary if his back doesn't arch. It can't be too big like 12 inches either, as he won't have the strength to turn it.

You could try holding the treat out for him between your fingertips, and let him smell the treat and if he doesn't take it, you could just ensure he watches you place it on the floor for him, to let him know that it's something you've given him, at least.

I'd say it's early days. My Robo has been with me about two months. She puts her paws on my hand to take treats, and tolerates being stroked. Does she seek human company? Well, she sniffs inquisitively at my hand whenever she sees it, and pokes her head out of her hideout to investigate when I call her (I'm sure she's just hoping for treats).

She used to zip around like lightning when I first got her, because she was stressed and anxious about being in a new environment. She doesn't zip around that quickly now, and she's much calmer. She absolutely loves her wheel and goes on it all night long.

She jumped into her wheel yesterday when I was holding it (tried to take it out for a clean), but she didn't want to jump off it into my hand, though I gave her the chance to.

And I haven't been taming her as much as I could have done, because my hands don't want to get anywhere near her nose, as she has nibbled me before (seemed like it was out of curiosity). She's nibbled my husband a couple of times too, but has never drawn blood. Perhaps you could tame Gordon further if you weren't afraid of being nipped.

I've read information that Robo are the most sociable of all hamster breeds, but they are skittish and nervous by nature. My Robo doesn't get out of cage time and I don't even pick her up (nibbling issue prevents me from trying). You could try building her a playpen if you wanted to give her a safe place to run around in, but my personal problem with playpens is I don't know what new stuff to put in them, lol. Any playpen I build will only have the toys that she already has in her cage (sorry, personal lack of creativity!), so I don't see the point (because I already give her all toys, so I can't see what difference it would make).

With a proper set-up, I think she's happy without out of cage time. Mine was in an unsuitable cage for a few days and she would climb the bars upwards frantically/ bar-bite. Her current proper cage has grids, and she uses it to climb vertically in a calm/ deliberate manner now, for the sole purpose of using it as a convenient short cut to access her toys across the cage. She doesn't bite the bars. She seems calm, happy, and content.

My Robo loves mealworms and sunflower seeds. Not sure if it's particular to the species or just an individual thing, but you could give these treats a try.
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote