View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 08:45 PM  
miloandtoby
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Possibly Diabetic Hamster not Eating

I got my hamsters unexpectedly and have been trying to do more research every since I got them. From what I can visually tell, they are Campbells or a hybrid (not sure of their breeding). Since I got them, one of them has been drinking copious amounts of water and is extremely food motivated, acting over excited every time I feed him. Since these are my first hamsters, I thought it was just his personality but as I've been doing more research, I'm worried that it's diabeties.

I ordered the Keto Diatrix (?) Teat off of Amazon as no one around here sells it and it's currently in the mail. I also ordered fengugreek seeds, so I can be prepared for a positive reading. To make him more comfortable until then, I started feeding oats and broccoli as I read it's good for Diabetic hamsters. However, ever since I feed him the first feeding of that, he hasn't touched his food. He still runs up to the edge of the cage begging for food, but when I put it in his food dish, he just sniffs it and walks away. His dish would usually be empty within a few minutes but now it's been full for over a day. What could cause him to stop eating? Or eating significantly less?

Also, when I went to feed him tonight, I noticed that one of his eyes looked slightly matted, stiff and standing straight up around his eye, like his eye had some discharge leaking. I heard that hair loss is common in diabetic hamsters, could this just be a form of that or could it be an eye poke? I have some Timothy hay in his cage but removed it as I saw his eye.

Sorry for the long post
miloandtoby is offline   Reply With Quote