Thread: Cleaning
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2019, 10:28 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Talking Re: Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
My Roborovski doesn't have a specific toileting area that I can see so I change his bedding/substrate once a week.

The Syrian I adopted in July has a clearly defined toileting area so I clean that daily and the rest of it approx. every two weeks.
Really??! That seems an awful lot of cleaning for a hamster (Robo) that is so tiny that the pee probably evaporates. Do you change all his substrate weekly? How does your Robo react to having his tunnels destroyed, hoards and nests removed on a weekly basis?

Fortnightly cleans for a Syrian who uses a toilet thats cleaned daily seems way excessive too.

My intention is not to criticise and I do apologise if it comes across that way but I clean my Syrian's cage when the cage and he gets a bit miffy, about once a month or a bit longer.

My Robo I only got a couple of days ago so have no idea when I'll clean his tank next but he's so tiny that I didn't even bother with a toilet. Again, I'll wait till the cage gets a bit miffy and let my nose be my guide.

Weekly cleans are a thing of the past when hamsters used to live in tiny cages I would have thought. Hamster care is much more hamster centred nowadays one should hope.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote