View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 11:58 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Do I really have to get up in the middle of the night to tame my shy hamster?

I don't think you will like what I am going to say. I found with hamsters that when you first get them, they wake up and can be quite active early evening, and then as they get more settled in they stay asleep/underground later and later. So for example with my luna when i got her she was up about 7ish, then 8ish then nearer 9. But as she got older it got later and later, anywhere between 10pm and midnight. it was great when the clocks changed in the winter and I noticed she got up earlier when spring came, but then the clocks changed and within a few days it's like she knew and she went back to 10.30-11pm. At the moment she is awaking up anywhere between 11 and midnight. I am shattered! I do see her up and about in the mornings sometimes though. So, sorry I don't really have a 4th option. I do know some people will try and make their hamsters wake up earlier but I do not believe in this or encourage it. I would rather let my hamster be a hamster and do what she wants to do on her time. Someone else may have better advice, but this is all I can tell you from my own experience. So, yes I am not sure how you go about taming a hamster that sleeps late - could you do it just on weekends or the nights you don't work?