View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 04:08 AM  
10Minutes
Hamster Pup

Default Re: New Hamster Advice

Lots of bedding would help break her falls. Avoid hard objects in her cage, but sadly, her wheel is still mandatory. If you are able to safely do so (ensure you don't use any kind of adhesive that could harm her, preferably just slot it in), you could place some cardboard around the mid to topmost bars. She won't be able to climb areas covered with smooth cardboard, because her paws have nothing to grip on. I'd probably allow her to continue climbing the bottom bars, or she might get even more stressed without anything to do (hopefully others will comment on this).

Give her an empty toilet roll to play with, she could hide in it or chew on it, or a small cardboard box that has an opening on one side is good too.

I agree with Luna that her behaviour is most probably because the cage is unsuitable and, also because she is placed in a new environment. They do calm down a lot more once they have a suitable cage and have had a chance to get used to a new environment.

When you transfer her to a bigger cage, she will get stressed from the change in environment. Do use all of the old bedding in it (and transfer the toilet roll too!) so that at least her smell is still in there and that would help her to adapt a little more quickly.

Hope you get your money back on the unsuitable cage, and I'm delighted to see you're doing your best for her. What breed is she? You'll make a great difference to her life!
10Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote