View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 AM  
Bosse_Hamsterdam
Newborn Pup

Default Bosse the burrower's detolf - need suggestions!

Hi,

This is my first entry in this forum, but I've been reading for a while. It's been a great place to learn from!

My syrian Bosse moved in with us two weeks ago, and is currently seven weeks old. He is quite shy, but I've had some progress with taming him and he now takes treats from my hand and happily sits next to my hand grooming. However, he likes to burrow and he stays burrowed in his deep carefresh bedding throughout the day and doesn't come out until midnight, which makes taming challenging because of how very tired I get...

Now, on to his cage. Here is the current setup:
bur.jpg

So his "nest" is in tunnels in the carefresh on the right. During the night he moves all over the cage, and he recently started using his sand bath as a toilet, both for pee and poop. Such a nice hamster that way! If only he would wake up earlier...

So what I like about this setup:
1. He can burrow which he obviously enjoys tremendously
2. He likes to sit and groom under his bendy bridge once he comes out of his burrows
3. The sand bath is very popular
4. He seems to enjoy climbing under and over the vine
5. The ikea Knuff is a great platform for his food and water dish, they never get any bedding in them

And what I would like to improve
1. The little house next to the Knuff is pointless, I don't think he's been in there even once. Also, I don't think the opening is 7 cm. I stupidly got it at the pet shop because it looked so nice.
2. He needs some tunnel in the middle of the cage, there isn't enough shelter there (even though he happily walked out there the other day to take a pumpkin seed from my hand!)
3. I really would like to just squeeze more stuff in there and also add more hemp bedding (I only had a small 20 L bag when I made this setup), but it needs to stay away from the wheel.
4. There is no way of cleaning out his food stash or spot cleaning in the carefresh without disturbing his burrows and messing with his safe place, which I'm reluctant to do.

I just got my order from Rodipet with a cork tunnel. I order the size M which is 8-12 cm diameter, and I got the biggest possible, 12 cm (almost 5 inches) inner diameter, and 20 cm (8 inches) long.

And I got the Rodipet easy clean terra ceramic burrow.

rodipet.jpg

Now how should I use these to improve the cage? Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

I'm thinking that I should probably avoid making any big changes for now, since he is still settling in, but for the future?

And is there something I should change right away?

Thanks in advance from Bosse and his very sleepy human slave.
Bosse_Hamsterdam is offline   Reply With Quote