View Single Post
Old 08-12-2019, 11:24 AM  
jsp
Hamster Pup

Default New hamster making snuffy noise, also funny eye

Hi,

I wondered if I could ask for a little bit of advice about our new hamster?

I have just bought a 9 week old tricolour syrian hamster as a pet for my 9 year old son. She is in a big Little Friends Plaza Tall Rat and Hamster Cage with Back to Nature non-allergenic paper and also shredded paper bedding, and we have been leaving her alone for the 4 or 5 days since we bought her, except for looking at her once a day at 7pm to check that she is okay.

When we do open the cage and look at her she comes out to sit on my son's hand and take seeds, with a bit of encouragement. However, she makes a lot of snuffying noises, as though she has a tickly nose or has been taking old fashioned snuff, which is making her sneeze.

Today she was doing it a lot more than usual and also it took a long time for her left eye to open. He eyes were already a bit bulgy in the shop, and one looked a bit funny as though it was watery, but I think she might just look like that normally.

This is a video of her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjYb...ature=youtu.be
The snuffing sounds are two quiet to hear, but her eye shows.

I wondered if I could ask if this is normal for a hamster? I had two as a teenager and I don't remember either of them doing this snuffing noise.

She came from a hobby breeder and was only in the shop for half an hour before we collected her and took her home. The journey was about 10 minutes by car.

Thanks!
jsp is offline   Reply With Quote