View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 12:03 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Possible urine infection?

Metacam, some hamsters will just take it straight off the syringe. If not, you can add it to some baby food or dog food. If you get baby food, you can freeze it down into ice cube trays and it will last longer than the week you will need it. - it can then become an extra treat.

The baytrill, putting it in baby food or dog food did not work for me - i ended up using 1 part of medicine to 1 part of water in the syringe with a little bit of honey on the end - Hamsters will find the baytrill too bitter for them and will dislike it - you can try without all of this, but if that doesn't work these things can help. You put the baytrill first in the syringe, then the water then the honey on the end- so it disguises the baytrill for your hamster.

The best way I have found to give baytrill to luna is turn her so she faces me - back away at a slight angle but head in the air, supported by my fingers/hand, put syringe in her mouth at a slight angle, with it aiming towards the pouch - so you don't choke them with it.
I can also do it where i hold her against my body nice and snug and put the syringe in her mouth - again at the slight angle, aiming towards a pouch.
i give her atreat afterwards and she soon forgets all of this and still loves me - i have to do it twice a day for the rest of her life - so sadly i have lots of experience now, but it's worth it if it helps her.
re baby food i used - Ella's - you want one with no spices added and i went for one with just veggies in it that hamsters can eat
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...CTQ0OX2iDITz_E

the dog food i tried was hunters brand, which was recommended to me on here
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produc...nC2_WYOQMV0wMg

hope this helps and your hamster soon better and/or you less worried abut her.