View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 AM  
Lau
Newborn Pup

Default New cage plans - advice needed

Hi!
I was planning on setting up a cage for a hamster I'll be getting in the next couple of months.
So far I have this much planned out:
- CAGE: It'll be a Ferplast Plaza 140 or 160, probably the later, which I plan on covering with mesh to make it hamster appropiate.
The issue I have with this is how to properly mesh it, without sharp edges. Everywhere I look it says you have to mesh too spaced bars but not how to do so.

- BEDDING. I was looking into Hemparade because it's so cheap and looks safe, but I read that it's sharp and unsuitable to use alone. Does any of you have any experience with it?
My plan B was mixing it with Rodipet.co.uk birch bedding so it's softer but I live in Spain and the shipping fees are quite high (10 euros) so I would have to bulk buy.

- FOOD: I was thinking of the Rodipet Junior Syrian mix and supplementing it with crickets, grasshoppers, timothy hay and fresh veggies and fruits. By itself it lacks in protein and fiber but mixing the other stuff I believe it'll be balanced and it looks really natural.
I wanted to scatter feed, so that it has some more fun, and putting in some millet/oat sprays around.

- WHEEL: The Trixie Wheel 28cm. I would love the CSE wheel but shipping is 35 euros
We don't have much variety around here, is the Trixie silent or does it rattle a lot?

- SAND BATH: I wasn't thinking of a masive area, just something big enough to have a hideout with no base so he can pee comfortably and an area he can dig and roll around. I can't find play sand, is filter sand like the one sold in Leroy Merlin good? Otherwise I could buy chinchilla sand but it's way more expensive so I couldn't change it as often. Also, I have easy access to beach sand, which I use for my aquariums and have never had any issue with.

- SOIL AREA: I would give a 50*30cm area, about 25 cm deep, with peat from rodipet. How often should this be changed?

I would really thank feedback on these plans
Lau is offline   Reply With Quote