View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 04:50 PM  
alpacassei
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: New hamster what do I need.

He’ll be a Russian dwarf hybrid! Your cage is a little on the small side so keep an eye out for signs of stress (pacing, pawing at cage sides/corners, bar chewing) though he may display those behaviours in the first week just from the stress of moving homes etc. You may need to upgrade to a wider cage in the future but he should be okay in his current cage for now.

Here’s a little shopping list of a few basic things Russians dwarfs need:

6.5 - 8 inch wheel
Deep substrate for burrowing ( 6+ inches), my favourite substrate is kaytee clean and cosy (unscented vers!)
Natural hides and chews such as cork tunnels, bendy bridges, willow sticks
Sand bath (I use kids play sand)
Dried herb or flower mixes to scatter around cage - adds enrichment
Dried mealworms or shrimp (their favourite protein sources! Some of mine also really like silkworm pupa)
A high quality seed mix preferably with low fruit and sugar content (you’ll have to do research on whats best in your country). Scatter feed to encourage foraging

Russians can have small amounts of fruit on occasion as a treat but it doesnt really benefit them and most prefer more bitter tasting veg over fruit. They’re also diabetes prone so too much fruit isnt good.
alpacassei is offline   Reply With Quote