View Single Post
Old 08-04-2019, 11:23 AM  
elliebell
Newborn Pup

Default feeding/hoard advice

not sure if this is the right topic area, but need some advice..

my syrian hoards his pellets, fresh food and seeds all together- he has a large 'cave' made up of a magazine holder on its side (he has two in his eco-green habitat, but kind of lives mostly in one)

He has his hoard in one corner, and his toilet in the opposite corner (he has a potty that he used regularly at first, but now only uses his cave, though the potty is always there)

When I do his daily spot clean, his hoarded pellets are soggy, I always remove them, and replace with a few fresh ones.I take any fresh food away (he collects it mid afternoon, I spot clean at around 10pm when he's active)

I put his pellets in his dish when I spot clean, and hide seeds and maybe a nut around his habitat at the same time, then, after his out of cage time, he goes in and hunts it all out (love watching him do this)

When I spot clean, the seeds are mostly gone, and here is only usually a little broccoli stem, or a pea or two, or a few parsley sprigs left- I take all these away as he's had his fill of fresh and it spoils quickly.

Now the advice bit (sorry its been a long post)

Are the soggy pellets 'viable', ie should he eat them? am I right to remove them? I beyond hate soggy biscuits so am I just projecting?

He isnt fat or thin, so I think he's getting adequate nutrition and calories, I just dont want to upset him by taking 'his' hoard away with the soiled bedding, and putting a few fresh pellets in his clean bed.

(by clean bed , I mean I replace his cave bedding with handfuls of his habitat substrate (Kaytee paper shreds) and top up his habitat with his play pen substrate, in turn topping that up with fresh- so it all has his scent and he doesn't get stressed with lots of changes

When he used his potty I just used to remove the 'clumps' and top it up- didn't have to change his bed at all then.
elliebell is offline   Reply With Quote